I first tried poached eggs in a benedict dish at brunch one day and instantly fell in love. Not only was it ridiculously pretty to look at, the texture was perfect: gently firmed egg whites with a deliciously gooey yolk. I came to love eggs late in life; as a child, I'd only eat them scrambled, hard, and only when my father cooked them. Thankfully, I grew out of that (I couldn't live with my father forever), and now love eggs in most of their forms...except, ironically, scrambled hard. Go figure.
Eggs become particularly useful when eating low carb. Besides the fact that they're full of nutrients, when you cook an egg with a runny yolk, it can serve dual purpose as a protein and a sauce. I don't know about you, but I find this quite handy, especially because many typical sauces (I'm looking at you, ketchup) can be loaded with sugar. I've found an egg with a runny yolk to be a perfect solution to this issue when eating burgers, for instance. But cooking a perfect egg can be time consuming and tricky. So how do we fix that?
Introducing microwaved poached eggs. If I'm only making one egg, this is absolutely the way I do it. It's quick, easy, and can be made in the background while you're cooking something else, so I see that as a win-win-win. An added bonus is that I can make eggs this way at work, allowing me to have freshly cooked eggs right when I want them, rather than heating one up later. If you like eggs with a runny yolk, you have to try this one.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- splash of vinegar (optional)
- Mug or small bowl
- Microwaveable plate or top
- Fill mug with water. Microwave for 30 seconds to heat water up. Add vinegar if using.
- Crack egg into mug and cover with plate. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute -- the time will vary depending on your microwave. The first time, check egg after 30 seconds, and add 15 seconds until egg has reached your desired level of firmness. In most cases, it should not take more than one minute.
- Drain mug (carefully! Don't drop your egg).
That's it! Use your poached egg any way you like. And let me know if you try it!