One of my absolute favorite things is sausage and peppers. I mean really, does it get more delicious than that? Needless to say, cutting down on carbs hasn't lessened my love for the combo. Now, I eat it sans bread or pasta, which actually allows me to get into the flavors more. Today, I share one of my favorite ways to enjoy sausage and peppers.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, either in bulk or in links
- 2 crowns of broccoli
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop peppers into slices and broccoli crowns into florets. Finely chop garlic and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss peppers and broccoli with olive oil so they are evenly coated. Start off with 1 tbsp, and add more as necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread broccoli and peppers in an even layer on baking sheet and roast for 20 mins until slightly charred around edges.
- While vegetables are cooking, brown your sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. This should take 7-10 minutes. How you cook your sausage depends on your preference: if you prefer a more traditional sausage and peppers, feel free to use sausage links and slice your sausage after browning. I usually use bulk sausage and cook as I would ground beef. When finished, drain grease and put cooked sausage in the mixing bowl you previously used for your vegetables. Add chopped garlic to this bowl.
- When vegetables are done, remove from oven and add to mixing bowl. Turn oven down to 350.
- In addition to garlic, sausage, and veggies, add Italian seasoning and half the cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Put mixture in a greased baking pan or casserole dish and spread so top is even. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.