Okay, so sometimes you just want something sweet. Despite being keto for three years, the sugar cravings don't ever completely go away, and that's fine. The trick to managing your cravings on keto is knowing how to satisfy them without busting your macros.
If you're a woman, especially, you my crave sweets around your period, which is totally normal. A few things I've used to calm my spirit:
- Coconut butter
- Macadamia nuts (they're surprisingly sweet!)
- 73% or higher dark chocolate
- Low sugar ice cream (such as So Delicious or Halo Top) topped with berry compote
If that last one has you curious, you've come to the right place. I'm in love with this little compote, which elevates ice cream, cottage cheese, and panna cottas alike. Try it and let me know what you think!
Serves 4 as a topping
- 1 cup frozen or fresh berries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs Lakanto Golden or other sugar substitute
- Small saucepan
- Add berries, Lakanto or other sugar substitute, and water to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The berries will start to break down on their own; however, you can mash some of the berries lightly to thicken the compote, Heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes to thicken more, or use right away as is.
If you try this "berry sauce," don't forget to let me know what you think!