Fun fact: A few years ago, I was 40 lbs overweight, depressed, and burnt-out from my corporate consulting job.
One day, as I was sitting in my office (ok, my shared cubicle), it hit me – this just isn’t for me. I looked at my desk, littered with the remnants of that afternoon’s working lunch. I looked down at my stomach, which uncomfortably bore a button print from pants that had grown too tight after years of being sedentary and, well, working lunches. I looked at my inbox that had 100+ emails that I couldn’t care less about. I knew it was time to make some changes. Within six months, I’d handed in my notice and set off into the world to find my purpose.
After much soul searching, I decided to get my nutrition certification from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Today, I am a certified holistic health coach, Spinning® instructor, cyclist, and general lover of living. And, I’m pleased to say, I’ve found my purpose – to help you (yes, you!) live a more healthy, more fulfilled life. It’s literally my passion! I’ve learned that dedicating yourself to being healthy not only looks good, but feels good, and feeling good inspires people to get the most out of life, in whatever way that looks to them. Learning how to live life more healthfully was the greatest gift I’ve ever given myself, and now I want to share that gift with you. So, my friends, that’s how I came to start The Glow Getter.
What is The Glow Getter?
The Glow Getter is a holistic health coaching practice committed to bringing out the best in you and your body. I help men and women improve their food and exercise habits to achieve a body they love, without starving themselves or counting calories. My goal is to help you create a healthful, balanced, fulfilled life, and to look awesome while doing it. I chose the name The Glow Getter because that is exactly what I want you to gain from working with me – the feeling that you are so happy and confident with your new self that you are literally glowing from within!
I’m not going to lie to you – sometimes living healthy can seem hard. There are hundreds upon thousands of diets out there (and maybe some even work!), but making radical changes to your life can be difficult.
That’s where I come in.
My job is to educate, inspire and empower you to make the changes that will improve your life. I recognize that each person is an individual and there is no off-the-shelf solution; so, together, we’ll work to figure out a plan that works best for you and your lifestyle that will save you time, money, and stress on your road to great health.
There are a few things I believe to be true about achieving a healthy lifestyle:
- Small changes = big rewards. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is your dream body. You don’t have to (and shouldn’t!) change your life overnight to start experiencing success.
- Above all things, balance—and by association, moderation. In a perfect world, we could sit in our little bubble and only eat lettuce and never be tempted by sweets or alcohol or a full season of tv shows on Netflix. Actually, scratch that, because that sounds terrible. These things exist because life is awesome. The key, however, is to know when and how much is right for your body.
- If you want to lose, you must move. I’m not telling you to sign up for a marathon, but find some type of physical activity you enjoy and get going. I’ve heard long walks along the beach are nice.
Conversely, there are some things I just don’t subscribe to:
- Counting calories. If you want a coach that is going to give you a diet plan that requires you to track every calorie that goes in your mouth, I’m not the one for you. Do calories matter? Yes, of course. However, my focus is on the quality of your food, not the quantity.
- Quick fixes. There is no such thing. In order to make changes to your lifestyle that become habits and behaviors, it takes time and effort.
- Hours on cardio equipment in a stuffy gym. Who has the time? And, personally, I prefer my activities outdoors (hence the cycling). I believe in working smart in all things I do, exercise included.