I don’t want to scare you, but the United States is facing a major crisis, and it’s affecting our health and our wallets. Let’s take a look at some numbers:
- 70% of people die each year from lifestyle behavior-related, treatable chronic diseases
- 75% of the 2.5 TRILLION dollars we spend on healthcare each year goes to treating “largely preventable and highly manageable” chronic diseases
- However, less than 1% of that 2.5 trillion is spent on preventing those chronic diseases
- According to the WHO and CDC, 80 percent of heart disease and type-2 diabetes, and 40 percent of cancers, could be prevented by doing three things: exercising more, eating better and avoiding tobacco.
Another sad fact (no pun intended): Chronic diseases can exacerbate symptoms of depression, and depressive disorders can themselves lead to chronic diseases.
Unfortunately, most doctors don’t have the time or resources to help their patients build the healthy lifestyle habits that would prevent or treat these preventable leading causes of death. In fact, less than 3% of doctors visits are spent discussing nutrition. That’s where a health coach comes in.
What is a health coach?
A health coach is a supportive mentor and wellness authority who works with clients to achieve their health and wellness goals. Instead of prescribing one diet or way of exercising, a health coach tailors individualized wellness programs to meet their clients’ needs. By addressing all the facets of health in addition to eating — relationships, exercise, career, and spirituality — a holistic health coach helps people become healthier and happier in all areas of their lives.
A health coach:
- Creates a judgment-free zone that allows you to speak freely in a confidential environment
- Helps to identify obstacles to change and create strategies for forward movement
- Elicits internal motivation and sense of purpose by linking your goals to your life purpose and personal values
- Supports your vision of your own best self by emphasizing accountability and positive behaviors
- Imparts knowledge and education in an easily relatable format
- Empowers you to make lasting behavioral changes that are the foundation for lifelong health
What a health coach is not: A health coach is not a doctor, and does not prescribe medicine. A health coach works along with your doctor to fill in any gaps. In some cases, a health coach may refer you to a doctor or specialist for further treatment.
Who benefits from health coaching?
The ideal health coaching client is someone who is ready to improve their food and exercise habits and is committed to making sustainable behavior changes. Tired of feeling stuck in a body or mindset you don’t love? Health coaching is for you! If you need more convincing, check out the Top Ten Reasons You Need a Health Coach.
How does health coaching work?
While program lengths vary, each program will focus on setting goals and working together to develop a plan to achieve and maintain those goals. In a typical weekly session, we’ll concentrate on what is going well, what areas you can improve, and how to deal with obstacles and roadblocks to your goals. Each session, you’ll walk away with 1-3 manageable actions you can take towards becoming your best self without being overwhelmed.
When can I start?
Ready to get started? Schedule a free Get Glowing Strategy Session today! This 30-min consultation is all about YOU. In your strategy session, we’ll uncover what’s been stopping you, slowing you down, or keeping you from having the body — and the health — you want. We’ll also develop a powerful vision for your transformation and what it will mean for you, for your health, and for your life.