Sometimes I get a craving for a slice of supreme pizza or an Italian sub. I always tell my clients -- anything you crave that is filled with carbs can be made keto. Literally, anything.
Because my favorite part of pizzas and sandwiches are the toppings, it's often easy for me to translate my cravings into a good lunch salad. Don't be surprised if you see sandwich-inspired salads around here regularly -- two of my faves are my Bacon Cheeseburger Salad and my Reuben Salad. But we're not here to talk about those today.
Today, I've transformed my favorite Italian sub into a delicious salad that captures all the same flavors with none of the carbs. All of the Have an additional topping that you like on your sub? Add that in, too!
- 2 Romaine hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or mini mozzarella balls
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2 pound salami, diced
- 1/2 pound pepperoni, diced or sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup giardinara or pepperonci peppers, roughly chopped
- Italian Dressing, homemade or storebought, to taste
- Toss chopped romaine with basil to combine.
- Add all other ingredients, stopping at the dressing, and mix until combined.
- Top with Italian dressing right before serving.
As you all know, I love a good salad in a jar. If you're making this salad to take with you for later, add the ingredients to the jar in the exact reverse order of the list (starting with the Italian dressing).
What's your favorite sandwich turned salad? Share below!